Having trouble sleeping?
Here are some ideas that might help.
1. Pray. It isn't a sin to fall asleep praying for people when you should be asleep. When you enter the presence of the Lord He may just let you go right to sleep. Psalm 127:2 It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows: for so he giveth his beloved sleep.
2. Play a tape or CD of God's word being read. We have friends whose kids always wanted a tape of the Bible playing as they went to sleep. They would ask if their parents didn't think to put it on for them. You might not want to choose Revelation, but many portions are good. Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
3. Play soft, restful music. Harp music can be very relaxing and quieting. In fact, it works so well for some people they can't even listen to it when they are supposed to be up and active. Psalm 42:8 Yet the LORD will command his lovingkindness in the daytime, and in the night his song shall be with me, and my prayer unto the God of my life. Plus, if you happen to be under attack from the adversary or his servants, the music can be a deliverance. Psalm 32:7 Thou art my hiding place; thou shalt preserve me from trouble; thou shalt compass me about with songs of deliverance. Selah.
4. Read God's word. There is no sin in drifting off to sleep while reading His word. Of course, sometimes it gets to be such a blessing that it's more invigorating than restful! :-) But then, perhaps this will be satisfying in its own way. Psalm 63:5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips: 6 When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.
5. Do you have a baby? Go get him or her and head for the rocking chair. Few things are as restful as rocking and holding as baby, and few things will tire you out as efficiently while being enjoyable. Mark 9:36 And he took a child, and set him in the midst of them: and when he had taken him in his arms, he said unto them, 37 Whosoever shall receive one of such children in my name, receiveth me: and whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.
6. Instead of counting sheep, count promises. Try to think of all the promises God has made to you and to His church. Say them to Him, not to yourself.
7. Consider the heavens. Psalm 8:3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; Ps 8:4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? The fresh air and dark might work wonders for you.
8. My Gramma Hoover liked to go through the alphabet and think of a verse that started with each letter. She found she'd usually fall asleep before she got through the whole alphabet. You can do this with hymn titles or phrases as well.
Here's a list of verses to help you get started:
Isa. 60:1 Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee.
1John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
1Peter 5:7 Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
1Thess. 5:20 Despise not prophesyings.
James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
2Tim. 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
Psalm 48:1 Great is the LORD, and greatly to be praised in the city of our God, in the mountain of his holiness.
Rom. 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
Psalm 34:1 I will bless the LORD at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.
John 11:35 Jesus wept.
1Cor. 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
John 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
Psalm 57:7 My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.
Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.
Psalm 47:1 O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.
John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
1Thess. 5:19 Quench not the Spirit.
Eph. 5:16 Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.
Rom. 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
Prv. 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
Psalm 25:1 Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul.
John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
Psalm 42:11 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.
Psalm 127:1 Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh but in vain.
1John 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
Hopefully, by this time you'll be sleeping.....ZzzzzBy Mary Van Nattan
MORE QUIET PLACES
1. QUIET IN THE BIG CITY
2. QUIET KANSAS STYLE
3. QUIET OTHER PLACES IN THIS JOURNAL
4. A LITTLE QUIET TALK WITH UNCLE STEVE
5. QUIET BIBLE TIME
6. QUIET WHIPPED PREACHERS-- DON'T GIVE UP
7. QUIET PRAYER CORNER
8. QUIET WITH JOY HARDIN ON THE PIANO
9. NEVER GIVE UP
10. QUIETNESS WITH WHOLE SCREEN PICTURES OF GOD'S CREATION--
Long Load-- Graphic intensive.
11. QUIETNESS IN BLACK AND WHITE
12. QUIET IN THE HOLY LAND
13. QUIET OF THE HEAVENS
14. HEAVENLY SONLIGHT
15. DELIVERANCE FROM GUILT AND GUILT MONGERS
16. QUIET REST
18. THE GOOD SHEPHERD-- Very Special Page by Mary Van Nattan
19. LOOKING BACK-- This is a time when it is OK
20. QUIET IN THE GARDEN
21. A QUIET PLACE TO EXALT THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
22. THE SHIPS THAT WON'T GO DOWN- By Henry Lawson
23. THE SOP OR THE SAVIOR OF THE SOP?
24. NO GREATER LOVE
25. QUIET DIVERSION NEW
THE CREATOR - PLEASE SEE A VERY SPECIAL PAGE BY MARY
IN JESUS - PEACE, REST, JOY --- A poem by Annie Johnson Flint
VITAMINS FOR THE SOUL
would dearly love to hear from anyone who stops here and
is blessed and helped. You need to believe that there is NO
section more important to me, in this journal, than the Quiet Place.
BACK TO QUIET PLACE MENU
BACK TO ENTRY PAGE OF THE JOURNAL
background & graphics by mary vannattan